Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 01:08:43 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        fdc@cliwe.ping.de (Frank D. Cringle)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Monitoring system performance

Frank D. Cringle stands accused of saying:
> The goal up to here is to provide raw, unadulterated numbers that can be
> analysed offline, e.g. using perl and gnuplot.  Those plots should provide a
> better basis for deciding whether to buy more memory or a higher bandwidth
> network connection or whatever.

Just on the net-connection side of things; in conjunction with a local
ISP I wrote a simple network-traffic monitoring tool for their gateway
machine that tracks who's sending how much where to what services.

It requires bpf on the gateway machine, and the postprocessing is crude
because it was never finished, but it did produce some enlightening
results, and is in fact (amazingly) still in use.

If anyone is interested, drop me a mail and ask for 'cantipole' and I'll
toss you a copy to tinker with.

> Frank Cringle                      | fdc@cliwe.ping.de

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[