Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 02:43:07 +0200 (SAST)
From:      The Psychotic Viper <psyv@sec-it.net>
To:        Doug Reynolds <mav@wastegate.net>
Cc:        "absinthe@pobox.com" <absinthe@pobox.com>, Dylan Carlson <damage_z@yahoo.com>, Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>, "ravi@cow.org" <ravi@cow.org>, "Ronald R. Perez" <ronaldp76@earthlink.net>, Mark Pude <markpude@hotmail.com>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: /var/ is full

Hi,

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Doug Reynolds wrote:

> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 18:59:35 -0500
> > On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:34:26 -0800 (PST), Dylan Carlson wrote:
>
> > I think it should be mentioned that the Auto option in the FreeBSD
> > installer >makes quite undersized /var mounts (IMO)... and in fact I
> > think the default is 20MB.I would propose making this default to
> > something 60-100MB in the next RELEASE.  20MB isn't suitable for what
> > most people seem to be doing anymore.
>
> the last install i did, i mounted everything on the root.  it seems to
> be working great.  i am wondering if there are any security issues with
> that tho.
It would work fine and save a few headaches like those experienced with
mounted filesystems running out of space (you'd only have one partition to
monitor versus say 4 or more for example). As for security its not a
negative move but different filesystems for different directories is a
positive one. It allows you to mount directories with independant
permissions and properties eg. All filesystems besides (/usr)/home be
mortal write protected; /mnted/part nosuid (ignore suid tagged bits) ; as
well as different sync properties to different partitions depending on usage.
man mount should help you understand more (and possibly more clearly), but
the above is a rough outline.

HTH
PsyV