Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 1996 13:05:57 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CTM of CVS and disk space

> What's the current estimate of disk usage for getting on the CTM
> treadmill?  How much space does the CVS repositories take up?

Hmm, this is what I see on my box.

> How
> much do I need for them + source tree + binaries for make world?

Quite a bit larger.  In case you don't realize, the source tree is
separate from the CVS tree.  The CVS tree merely contains the source
history and generates the actual -current and -stable sources.

> Would 200M be enough?  400M?  Does the disk space requirements change
> between -stable and -current trees?

That would be pushing it for *both* binaries and source, but should be
adequate for the CVS tree and one of -current or -stable.

> me suggests that it would take another 100ishM for the binaries), so I
> have "only" 250M-300M of disk space that I can allow for the FreeBSD
> stuff: CVS repository, -{current,stable} tree (one at a time) and
> whatever binaries I've generated and haven't installed yet.

I don't think that's enough to do it.  The CVS tree alone would take up
most of your space.

> It would be nice to have a common source base for at least the user
> land code for FreeBSD and NetBSD.

For most things I think there is some agreement.  At least I'd like to
have some of the user-land bug-fixes in NetBSD. :)

> Does anybody know if something like this is going to happen any time
> soon?  Has it happened and did I miss the announcement?  Are
> volunteers needed to make it happen, and if so, is there a contact
> point?

Do I see a hand there?  It looks like I do, and it sure looks a lot like
Warner is willing to head the effort and *become* the contact point.
What a guy! *grin*

Nate