Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 00:39:11 -0400
From:      "Ryan Masse" <rmasse@mastery.ca>
To:        <small@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   picobsd image

someone please take a look at my below steps in creating a picobsd image and
tell me what if anything i'm doing wrong.

1. build box = 4.3-RELEASE
2. extracted entire /usr/src tree
3. cd'd to /usr/src/release/picobsd && cp'd -R router test
4. cd'd to /usr/src/release/picobsd/build && ran ./picobsd test
5. left the kernel untouched for test purposes && built the kernel

The build process seemed to work for it asked me to insert a floppy to write
the picobsd.bin image to disk. I mount the floppy via -t ufs to /mnt and see
only a file 'kernel'. From here on in is were i get lost. I was expecting to
see directories such as /bin /sbin /etc etc. but all i see is the 'kernel'.
I thought maybe this 'kernel' file is another image, so i did vnconfig vn0
kernel then mount /dev/vn0c /mnt but i get invalid super block or similar
error. So then i tried dd if=kernel of=/dev/md0 then i try mount /dev/md0c
/mnt but i get a Bad block error.

I tried booting off of the newly created disk but i get a kernel panic that
it can't find /bin /sbin dir and the system enters a continuos loop.

I've tried every version included within the picobsd source (dial, net,
etc.) with all the same results. Am i missing something?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Ryan