Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 16:31:19 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 12:56:04PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> Well, it's a new world and now we're looking at ftp.freebsd.org
> becoming a set of round-robin DNS entries, something which just isn't
> going to happen very easily when being a "full and complete archive"
> requires that you mirror over 56GBytes of cruft.  In honor of the tech
> down-turn, I say it's time we imposed some austerity measures of our
> own and "right sized" our bits. :-)

I'd say "about damn time" and I'm sure lots of the ftp mirror admins
would too (as I know a number have bothered me about this before :).

> /archive/pub/FreeBSD/ports/alpha/
> 	packages-4-stable	[stale]
> 	packages-stable		[point to packages-4.3-release?]
>
> /archive/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386
> 	packages-2.2-stable	[too old]
> 	packages-2.2.8		[too old]
> 	packages-3-stable	[too old]
> 	packages-3.0-aout	[too old]
> 	packages-3.4-release	[too old]
> 	packages-4.0-release	[too old]
> 	packages-4.1-release	[too old]

Yes, I'd say remove all package sets prior to the last two releases, and
keep ongoing package sets for -stable and -current.

So in essence we would have:

/pub/FreeBSD
	CERT/* (keep)
	branches/
		[2.2-stable: move to /pub/FreeBSD-archive]
		[3.0-stable: move to /pub/FreeBSD-archive]
		4.0-stable
		-current
	development/* (minus the bits you mentioned)
	ports/{i386,alpha}/
		[all sets prior to 4.2R moved to /pub/FreeBSD-archive]
		packages-4-stable
		packages-5-current
	ports/{etc..}/* (keep)
	releases/
		[all sets prior to 4.2R moved to /pub/FreeBSD-archive]
	snapshots/*
		remove, rely on releng{4,5}.freebsd.org instead.. is
		there any reason to keep old snaps?
	tools/*
		move to /pub/FreeBSD-archive
	updates/*
		move to /pub/FreeBSD-archive

This should cut down the size of the average mirror to about 10-15GB.
When releases are rolled, the bits older than 2 releases should also be
moved at the same time the new bits are uploaded.

packages-4-stable is only stale because bento hasn't had a place to
upload the bits for awhile.  If you give Satoshi an account on
ftp-master, I'm sure they will be updated.  We've always updated the
packages-*-* bits about once a week.  :)

Just some of my thoughts.  :)

--
wca