Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 13:25:32 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        paul@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dependencies

> Uhh, it should.  The line:
>
>   EXEC_DEPENDS=   gs:${PORTSDIR}/print/ghostscript
>
> in the ghostview Makefile does exactly that, check if the program "gs"
> is in the search path (it uses "which"), and goes to build ghostscript
> only if it's not found.
>
> Maybe you don't have /usr/local/bin in your root's search path, then
> well sorry, it won't work, and I don't see any workaround for it.

Can't we use the pkg* interface to find out if a package is installed or
not? It's much more robust thatn relying on the path being set properly
for all users who might try and install a port.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul