Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:49:53 -0600
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
To:        lance@dallypost.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X problems

--Boundary-02=_HvKAATCSMQQjdih

On Saturday 10 January 2004 08:49 pm, Lance Earl wrote:
> My first install went pretty good but I have a few problems.
>
> 1. When I startx, x starts properly the first time. When I shut down x
> with ctrl/alt backspace, I get:  waiting for X server to shut down xterm:

A couple things for you:

1) Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is not really the _correct_ way to shutdown the xwind=
ows=20
system.  If you get a black, checkered screen with about three green window=
s,=20
select the one on the left and type 'exit.'  If this doesn't work, do the=20
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and kill all processes that mention X or xfree. =20

2) To get Gnome to start create a file in your user's home directory=20
( ~/<user> ) called .xinitrc (WITH the 'dot' in front).  In this file, add =
the=20
line:

exec gnome-session

If you use KDE instead, use the line:

exec startkde

Hope this helps, and welcome to the club.

=2D-=20
Eric F Crist
AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc
(612) 998-3588