Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:45:47 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, Domingo Siliceo <dsiliceo@adam.es>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions?

> > Now, go price 3 copies of NT Server plus the 1000 user commercial pop
> > package you'll have to buy along with the relevant DNS, News and
> > SLIP/PPP software (also throw in NFS so that you can eventually share
> > filesystems with that SGI Challenge machine you've got your lustful
> > eyes on and will buy once you hit 500 users to take some of the load
> > off).  See the total you're quoted.  Suffer heart failure.  Be revived
>
> Do you know how much the above setup would cost?

With or without the SGI Challenge? :-)

I've been told that the POP server is actually the most expensive
component and, while I've never priced all of this stuff down to the
last dime myself, I've been told that starting with $20,000 and diving
into the NT ISP market will leave you enough to go for a McDonald's
hamburger afterwards.  If someone wanted to do an actual study on
this, using the current crop of NT products (which has almost
certainly been added to since I got this figure), it's be quite
an interesting exercise.  Any takers who are more familiar with the
current state of the NT market than I?

					Jordan