Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:36:37 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'crontab -e' woes

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 11:47:20PM -0800, Crist J . Clark wrote:

# > Basically what I'm trying to do is setup a non-interactive
# > script that edits my crontab.  When I type the following
# > commands in it comments out the first entry.  However, when
# > I run it by redirecting stdin from a file it doesn't work.
# > >From the looks of it (note the 37 -> 38 change) the file
# > is being updated but crontab is ignoring the change.
#
# Don't ask me why, but try this,
#
#   $ { echo '1s/^/#/'; echo w; } | env VISUAL=/bin/ed crontab -e
#
# And see what happens. (Just lost the 'q.')

I've tried this on several different boxes and it didn't
work.  Does this work on your box?

Thanks for the reply.

-steve