Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 09:28:05 +0100
From:      simond@irrelevant.org
To:        auto245751@hushmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.2 Installation - Keyboard Problem

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 06:25:57AM +0000, auto245751@hushmail.com wrote:
> I'm booting from the official FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE CD. The kernel loads fine,
>
> but when it gets to the part where you have those three choices (text, visual,
>
> etc.) for kernel configuration, I notice my keyboard becomes unresponsive.
> The arrow keys won't work, the enter key won't work, nothing. I have to
> reboot the system. This is puzzling because the enter key works fine when
> it says something like "hit enter to continue".  Also, Windows 98, Windows
> 2000,
> and Redhat Linux 6.2 have no problem at all with my keyboard. I have the
> same problem with FreeBSD when I try to do the installation from my old
> 3.3-RELEASE CD. I am pretty sure the keyboard is detected, because I
> _DON'T_ get that "keyboard: no" message.
>
> The computer is an Acer Veriton 5100. The hardware is in excellent condition.
>
> Help!!!!!

OK, I have this problem myself, if you read the kernel boot output you'll
see that it probably fails to attach the atkbd driver with error code 6,
if you can get to the visual device config screen then you can simply
set flags to 0 for atkbd0

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org
"Why do I get this urge to go bowling everytime I see Tux?"