Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 1995 16:10:49 -0800
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dual pentium

|Date: 	Sun, 5 Mar 1995 12:26:13 -0800 (PST)
|From: Tom Samplonius <tom@haven.uniserve.com>
|To: Bryan McDade <mcdade@uwindsor.ca>
|cc: questions@FreeBSD.org
|Subject: Re: dual pentium
|

|On Sun, 5 Mar 1995, Bryan McDade wrote:
|
|> Hi i was browsing your section on the web, i'm interested in running unix on
|> a dual pentium as a server and am looking for the cheapest way...
|
|  You must need some *serious* power.  wcarchive.cdrom.com handles
|400-500 ftp users on a 90mhz Pentium system without a problem.

There are many problems that need a lot more than two pentium cpus.  The
stuff I'm working on will need at least 8 and probably 16 cpus to even begin
to be feasible in terms of time.  The neat thing is that you can start to
think of using pentiums on these problems, instead of a couple of IBM 590s,
or a large SGI TFP system.  FreeBSD networking helps a lot, too.

Russell