Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2002 10:35:23 +1200
From:      Richard Mahoney <rbm49@ext.canterbury.ac.nz>
To:        Stacey Roberts <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
Cc:        Subscribers to FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Thoughts on Web Site Design / Builder apps?

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 07:06:54PM +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:

[snip]

> On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 13:07, Daniel Bye wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 06:43:24PM +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >   I'm a hands-up newbie at web design and html stuff, but would like to
> > > learn for my own amusement on my home system.
> > >=20
> > > Is anyone able to recommend a nice informative and straight-forward
> > > website design / building app from the ports collection?

[snip]

I've been facing this problem myself recently.

For building database driven e-commerce sites I think it would be hard
to beat the functionality of `Interchange'. Details are available
from:

 http://www.redhat.com/software/interchange/

 http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/ic/index

To see what its capable of see the demo.

Although this application is regularly tested under Linux, FreeBSD,
and Solaris setting it up requires a decent knowledge of your OS. You
will also need to have a web server up and running on your box. That
said, I can assure you that it is worth the effort. The mailing list
is very useful. I don't think it is in the ports tree but it really
should be. Note that it needs a recent version of perl to run well.

Many regards,

 Richard mahoney

P.S. For writing and validating static html the `Emacs' with `psgml'
is worth considering.

--
78 Jeffreys Road                        telephone:+64-3-351-5831