Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2000 17:01:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, rob <europax@home.com>, Johannes Zwart <johannes@jak.nl>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not XEmacs, after all?

John Galt writes:
> So why is it still forbidden in a fresh download?  I have my own reasons
> for downloading what I did, but until the un-forbid fix propagates, I
> still stand by my statement: it was once deprecated, and there's still a
> ports tree you can download today wherein you can't install lynx, so it is
> still at least in part deprecated.

Just because something is available for download doesn't mean that
it's *fresh*.  If they start updating the distribution labeled
"4.0-RELEASE", where should they stop? When it's 4.1? Nah, 4.0-RELEASE
is a fixed thing, and won't ever change.

Lynx has been fixed, and ports that build from the fixed version are
used with current FreeBSD 4 (and 3, for that matter). In un-forbidding
the old port and building it, you are building a version with all the
security holes, because it's building from sources that had those
problems.

If you need to run 4.0, do so. However, you can update the ports tree
independent of the OS, and it should work. Try updating your *ports*
tree, and building one of the lynx ports you get from that.

Personally, I prefer w3m. That it supports "other browsers" makes it
usable as the primary browser for almost anything.

	<mike