Date:      20 Mar 2000 19:13:16 -0800
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports Team <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Version Numbering Question

 * From: Michael Haro <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us>

 * Hi, I noticed lots of ports violating the handbook guidelines and using
 * versioning like -1.2.3pl4.
 *
 * For ports that *have* version numbers and then patch levels, should
 * we allow 'pl' in the version or change the version number in the ports
 * to something like 1.2.3p4?

Patch levels are just part of version numbers.  I think "1.2.3.4" will
be just fine, since it is unambiguous (nobody in their right mind will
release 1.2.3pl4 and 1.2.3.4 of the same software) and have the nice
property of having version number components separated by periods
(which is useful in guessing which of two version number components is
newer).

Satoshi