Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:35:57 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramidi@otenet.gr>
To:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail domain re-writting

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Duke Normandin wrote:

> Could you explain the difference between using 'genericstable' and the
> 'masquerade' feature. I suppose my confusion is semantical, as the above
> _seems_ to be a 'masquerade' as well. ;) TIA...

When you use `masquerade', you get rewriting of the host part of the address.
You can arrange that all mail that leaves gray.westgate.gr will have in their
headers gray.westgate.gr replaced by westgate.gr, and thats pretty much all
there is to it.

The `genericstable' feature provides with more fine-grained control over what
gets rewrittten and what it gets rewritten to.  You can change both the
host/domain part of an address, and/or the username.  You can think of
genericstable as virtual-domains for outgoing mail :-)

To clarify all this with an example though, let us assume that I have called
my home machine hades.hell.gr and I want all the main that leaves this machine
to have an envelope address of username@hell.gr (where username, the login of
the user sending mail).  In this case, masquerade is fine for me, and if I add
to my master config the following it will work:

	dnl What we masquerade as.
	MASQUERADE_AS(`hell.gr')
	dnl Make sure that *.hell.gr gets masq'd.
	FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)
	dnl Rewrite envelope addresses too.
	FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)

be careful to note that a user called "charon" when such a setup is used on
hades.hell.gr will send mail as <charon@hades.hell.gr> and have his address
rewritten to <charon@hell.gr>.  But so will <matina@hades.hell.gr> whose
outgoing mail will seem to originate from <matina@hell.gr>.

But what if <charon@hades.hell.gr> wants his mail to seem like it came from
<keramidi@otenet.gr>, and <matina@hades.hell.gr> wants her mail to seem like
it came from <keramida@some.other.domain.gr> ?

This is where genericstable will help you immensely.
But this message is getting too long...

Hope I've helped a bit.

--giorgos