Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 2002 10:25:22 GMT
From:      Abc Xyz <abc@anchorageinternet.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   maillist host lookups

this is a problem plaguing me for years - 3 or so.
i am on a network with a private IP - an ethernet
with a freebsd gateway using ppp -ddial -nat.
it is important that the private IP MTA be used so
mail logs stay on the corresponding machines from
which they are sent.

for years, i could never mail FBSD maillists, since they
choose to create hardship for anyone with a private IP
in order to block spammers using private IP's, an
argument which i do not buy, but i digress.

i thought i found a solution by editing sendmail.cf
as follows:

DjMYGATEWAYSHOSTNAME.ORG

this did work for mailing a FBSD maillist,
forcing sendmail to provide the gateway as
the origin of the mail, but then i realized
that it crashed internal network mail.

for example, with such a sendmail.cf, if i am
on a machine with a private IP behind the gateway,
and i mail user@MYGATEWAYSHOSTNAME.ORG, sendmail
looks for "user" on my own machine, instead of
the gateway.

i am sure i am not the only one with this problem,
ie, using sendmail from a machine on a private IP network
behind a gateway.  i think it's reasonable to imagine that
most users using FBSD as a gateway have such a setup, at
home or at work.

what is the proper solution to this problem?
i have attempted to find out over the years,
but have never recieved a simple and direct
solution/answer.