Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:51:35 EDT
From:      TM4525@aol.com
To:        JohnsoBS@vicksburg.navy.mil
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compatible NIC

In a message dated 10/29/04 1:13:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
JohnsoBS@vicksburg.navy.mil writes:
>> >RealTek 8129/8139 Fast Ethernet NICs ( rl(4) driver)
>>
>> Check the driver source. Any driver witten by Bill Paul
>> should be avoided
>> if possible.
>

>What the hell man. Do you have anything better to do than troll?
>Every responce I have read from you seems something written out
>of a ad or some buzz of slashdot or something you saw and thought
>you would spew your techy knowledge. If you have a specific reason
>you feel a specific driver should be avoided, please voice it.

Ok. Bill Paul is an academic who was contracted to write a zillion drivers
for FreeBSD. He basically cut and pasted them all, barely tested them,
and when he was "done" he didn't support them. Read his comments
and you'll know that he was more concerned with getting "done" than
doing a good job. His goal was just to do them.

I've tested most of them. Have you? Have you done anything except
listen to a bunch of idiots on this list who are as far from a real network
engineers that they can be? Bill Paul himself proclaimed that "the
realtek chip is the worst controller ever created", but you idiots
wholeheartedly recommend it, as if ethernet cards and drivers are
generic, interchangeable parts. You guys claim to "help" people.
Part of helping them is steering them away from bad drivers, bad
hardware and bad versions of the OS, IMO.

I just voiced my opinion. If you want to use them, feel free. Use 5.2.1.
with the rl driver. Have the slowest server on the block. What do
I care?