Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2017 07:59:52 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The future of fortune(6)

In message <201711261350.vAQDmCqn000352@fire.js.berklix.net>, "Julian H.
Stacey
" writes:
> Hi Hackers@ & Arch@
> Mcl's long held animosity to me distracts.  Better to consider ideas
> not by author, but on merit or otherwise, & maybe improve them.

I think you might be reading too much into it.

To bring this on topic. Fortune needs to go. The process to remove it has
commenced and will after review be implemented.

Why? Games should be, if anywhere, in ports. Take for example what Red Hat
has done. There are no games in Red Hat 6. Sure you might find some in EPL.
And as of RHEL 7, absolutely nothing. I suspect that they've made the
choice to avoid problems like this. We should do likewise. I would fully
support removal of games from ports as well but I might tolerate them there
-- why if I install gnome or kde do I want to give up MB or GB of precious
disk to games?

This is 2017. I really don't understand why there is so much angst about
this.

Lastly. I'm not totally against games. My 4 and 5 year old grandkids play
games on game tablets. However I would never let my grandkids even see what
fortune spits out. Much of it was offensive. I would have been ashamed had
they seen some of the outputs.

Fortune in base is totally indefensible and for that matter even in ports
it is. It absolutely has to go. I fully support Benno's effort.

To repeat: To say that mcl has animosity toward you is really unfair.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>