Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 00:13:03 -0600
From:      "Michael Rice" <marice@email.msn.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions List" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Install problems on Dell XPS R400

I have just purchased a Dell 400MHz Pentium II system and I can't get FBSD
2.6.2 to install.

The following lists the hardware installed:

400MHz Pentium II
128MB RAM
6.4GB Ultra-ATA IDE hard disk (Master on primary IDE)
NEC 32X CD-ROM (Master on secondary IDE)
Adaptec 2940 SCSI II PCI controller (no devices attached)
Diamond Fire GL video w/ 8MB
Montego Turtle Beach audio
2 Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ Ethernet PCI cards
Microsoft InteliMouse (PS/2 interface)

I am trying to install from the Walnut Creek CD.  I do the following:

1. Boot from FBSD 2.6.2 floppy
2. Select the full screen setup
3. Remove all unnecessary devices
    BTW, I can't find a driver for a NEC CD-ROM or the Intel Ethernet cards
4. Select 'Q' to quit and save

When I Quit and save the setup, it spins the floppy for about 30 seconds,
accesses it a couple of times, clears the screen, and then locks up.
Thinking that maybe it was timing out on a bunch of devices, I let it sit
for about 30 minutes on the blank screen, but it never progressed any
further.

Any ideas?

Michael Rice
marice@msn.com