Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 1994 16:43:12 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, install@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: It's time to release..  The worms!  Hahahahaha!

> I tried putting 2.0 on a machine with 40meg.  25 meg /, 15 meg swap, and /usr
> over nfs.  Confused me to death why it would boot right until I really looked
> hard at /etc/rc.
>
> nfs mounts are not done until after several programs in /usr are run.  I had
> to mount /usr specifically before then.  It only works because I have a default
> router.  I don't expect the this configuration to be supported by default but
> it might be a nice addition to the gotcha file.
>
> excerpt....
> # set hostname, turn on network
> echo 'starting network'
> . /etc/netstart
>
> # grab user                        <------------------------
> echo 'mounting /usr'              #<------------------------
>
> mount -a -t nfs >/dev/null 2>&1   #<------------------------

Hi Boyd,

I've been doing this since 1.0 by putting the few files needed in the local
/usr, and then just mounting over them.  I believe in 2.0 I discovered it
was easier to modify /etc/rc and just stick

mount -u -o rw /

umount -a >/dev/null 2>&1
mount -a -t nonfs

Saves time and effort.  :-)  Anyone want to suggest a way to make the "mount
-a -t nonfs" do this?

... Joe