Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 17:10:23 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bitkeeper license review

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Anybody here have the time/inclination/ability to review a *draft* of the
> proposed BitKeeper license to see if it would be acceptable for use by
> FreeBSD?

I'm not sure what you mean by "acceptable for use by FreeBSD".

If you mean, could we include BitKeeper as a port in FreeBSD, the answer is
certainly yes.  Doing so would be a good idea, too, we want FreeBSD to be
a splendiferous software development system, with as many tools as possible.

If you mean, would the FreeBSD Project be willing to have their change logs
sent to a public server somewhere, we already do.  Our CVS server is open to
public scrutiny, of both the code and commit logs.

If you mean developing FreeBSD-related projects using BitKeeper as a source
store, I doubt anyone would complain at all.  Please contribute your FreeBSD
port of it before you set off, and I'll lead the cheering.  ;^)

If you mean moving the FreeBSD CVS repository to BitKeeper, you probably don't
understand how much work you are asking for even if BitKeeper provided some
compelling features over what we have now.  I my opinion, it does not.  I've
read through Larry's explanation of the theory of operation for BitKeeper,
and it seems quite good as a tool for enabling Linus to pore over every patch
flowing into Linux Central, and less useful for just about anything else.

But I certainly don't see anything in the license WE would find objectionable.
Quite the opposite, I expect he will get a LOT more licensing flak from the
Linux crowd.