Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:28:51 +0100
From:      Vitalis <vitalis@numericable.fr>
To:        questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, database <freebsd-database@freebsd.org>
Cc:        brian@shadowcom.net
Subject:   Re: "oracle" shell environment

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 21:58, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Vitalis <vitalis@numericable.fr> writes:
>
> > Using http://www.shadowcom.net/freebsd-oracle9i/ how can we deal with
> > the "oracle" shell environment? I mean, due to the linux compatibility
> > mode, there is some Oracle stuff under /compat/linux/etc/, but scritpts
> > and executables expect them to be in /etc. We can modify dbstart et al.,
> > but is there another solution?
>
> The linux "emulator" searches /compat/linux... before /..., so this
> should work fine, as far as I can see.
>
> > BTW can we (should we) change the default shell of the "oracle" user to
> > something like /compat/linux/bin/*sh? Or can we (should we) launch a
> > /compat/linux/bin/*sh at the end of the .profile or .login?
>
> No, again, this should probably just work.

I've noticed the problem with Oracle scripts such as dbstart. It tries
something like "cat /etc/oratab".

Here's what I get from the oracle account (oratab is in
/compat/linux/etc):

oracle-bsd> ls /etc/oratab
/etc/oratab
oracle-bsd> cat /etc/oratab
cat: /etc/oratab: No such file or directory
oracle-bsd> which cat
/bin/cat
oracle-bsd> echo $SHELL
/compat/linux/bin/bash