Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:53:33 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Anton Korotin <korotin@aha.ru>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HostRAID not detected on -current

> Hello,
>
> I've got a server box based on Intel SE7501WV2 board, SR2300 chassis.
>
> When I tried to install 5.2.1-RC2 on it SCSI was detected
> only with HostRAID disabled.
>
> When I enabled HostRAID SCSI i got:
>
> pci4: <mass storage, RAID> at device 7.0 (no driver attached)
> pci4: <mass storage, RAID> at device 7.1 (no driver attached)
>
> I've updated to -current on 19th of February and now what I can see
> with HostRAID enabled and situatiuon changed as follows.
>
> Looks like system "knows" that pci4:7:0 is a 'subclass = RAID' device
> but incorrectly shows ahd device with four physical drives available
> while two of them are formatted as raid-1 array by HostRAID.

There is no HostRAID support in FreeBSD.  In the past, the ahd driver
didn't attach to these devices just to avoid allowing the user to
corrupt the arrays.  But this generated more email into my inbox than
I wanted, so I decided to allow the driver to attach to HostRAID
controllers.  This will also allow someone to write a RAIDFrame or
GEOM module to handle the HostRAID operations.

--
Justin