Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 14:33:15 -0800
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        John Purser <johnmpurser@home.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: @home.com's e-mail problems

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 12:12:02PM -0800, John Purser wrote:
> I sent an e-mail expressing my frustration and pointed out that even MS
> doesn't use NT for heavy duty e-mail service.  I suggested they look into
> FreeBSD as a way of upgrading their technology and reliability.
>
> If they receive this suggestion from enough people they might start
> listening.  Especially now.  Wednesday when I called in the second tier
> support person I spoke to  told me that the @home e-mail was down for the
> entire US and they didn't know why!  If they received multiple e-mails
> suggesting FreeBSD as an alternative with helpful contacts at Yahoo, Walnut
> Creek, or HotMail then we might get another large commercial user to join
> the ranks!

I worked at Critical Path (CP), an email outsourcer, for over a year.
During that year, there were a quite a number of service outages.  CP runs
its services on a combination of Solaris and FreeBSD boxes.  That CP
doesn't use NT is a definite plus, but it couldn't begin to make up for the
real problem: business goals do not emphasize reliability.  If reliability
were a goal, I expect CP could do about as well using NT as FreeBSD (though
not for the same cost).  @home may be different, but I doubt it.

FreeBSD isn't a magical solution to all the world's evils; it's just an
(IMO very good) operating system.

Jason