Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:57:37 -0600
From:      Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@intranet.com.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kind of off topic.

At 03:08 a.m. 14/12/2010, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:21:06 -0600, Jorge Biquez
><jbiquez@intranet.com.mx> wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >
> > A friend is asking me to help him to solve some problem he has in his
> > servers. To some I would be able to connect using ssh, with other just
> > it i snot possible. I remember that on the windows world there was a
> > commercial software PCANywhere. He can have it but I am not sure if I
> > would be able to connect to that from my Freebsd machine (of course
> > not by ssh).
> >
> > What are you using for connecting to graphical interfaces of different
> > OS's from FreeBSD?
> >
> > I tested some years ago a VNC software but did not work fine with MAC
> > OSX (recently released by then).
> >
> > I know big security factors are involved for sure.
> > Any suggestion on what to use, not to expensive or free?
>
>If the remote hosts are running FreeBSD, you can do almost *everything*
>through SSH.  For example most of my FreeBSD-related testing work
>happens through SSH connections to virtual machines these days.
>
>If you really need to run a GUI application though there are a few
>
>   - The most basic is to connect to the remote machine in *some* way,
>     set the DISPLAY environment variable to point to a local X server
>     that may accept incoming connections and fire up your GUI program.
>
>   - You can SSH into the remote machine and use the -X or -Y options to
>     set up 'X forwarding' back to the machine where the SSH connection
>     has originated from.
>
>   - You can use programs like the NX tools <http://www.nomachine.com/>;
>     to set up a 'remotely accessible X desktop' on the target machine
>     and then use nxclient to connect to it from anywhere.
>
>The fastest and simplest method is still a plain good old SSH connection
>though.  It requires minimal setup (an sshd daemon on the remote side),
>it is accessible from anywhere in the world, it's secure against random
>eavesdroppers, it's fast to connect to, it's pretty light-weight on both
>the client and server systems, and you can do _everything_ on the remote
>host [even full system upgrades from source].

Hello.
Thanks all for your time....
On Freebsd and Linux machines I have entered using SSH already....
and I amtrying to help (my linux knowledge is not so good). :=(

Thing is to access the GUI, same screen they have with errors, on
their windows and Mac machines (XP and OSX mainly). I am trying to
setup one of the VNC solutions around. Just reading befores about
security involved in each one.

Take care all and have a great day.

Jorge Biquez