Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:12:42 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Teaching ports/textproc/docproj/Makefile about FORMATS

If memory serves me right, Nik Clayton wrote:

> Here's a diff to teach textproc/docproj/Makefile about the FORMATS
> variable.  Very lightly tested.  Feedback welcome.

I *think* this is a good idea...I'm a little concerned about different
"versions" of the docproj port being built, but hey, we already have
$(JADETEX) and $(WITH_OPENJADE).  :-p

> -# This dependency list should be kept in sync with the list of
> +# Support the FORMATS variable for deciding what to depend on.
> +#
> +# Default to supporting HTML and TXT outputs, which seems to be the=20
> +# default most people want
> +FORMATS?=3D	html txt
> +
> +# The complete dependency list should be kept in sync with the list of
>  # required ports in src/release/Makefile.inc.docports.

Well, strictly you only need to keep in sync with the ports that are
required, given the make options used by src/release/Makefile when it
builds the docproj port.

> +# The basic list of dependencies, before you even decide what output forma=
> t(s)
> +# you want to generate
> +BASE_RUN_DEPENDS=3D\
>  		${PREFIX}/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl/modular:${PORTSDIR}/textproc
> /dsssl-do=
> cbook-modular \
> -		${PREFIX}/share/sgml/html/catalog:${PORTSDIR}/textproc/html \
> -		${PREFIX}/share/sgml/linuxdoc:${PORTSDIR}/textproc/linuxdoc \
>  		${PREFIX}/share/sgml/docbook/4.1/docbook.dtd:${PORTSDIR}/textpr
> oc/docboo=
> k-410 \
>  		${PREFIX}/share/sgml/iso8879:${PORTSDIR}/textproc/iso8879 \
> -		${PREFIX}/share/xml/dtd/xhtml/xhtml.soc:${PORTSDIR}/textproc/xh
> tml \
> +		${PREFIX}/bin/xsltproc:${PORTSDIR}/textproc/libxslt

Why's libxslt in BASE_RUN_DEPENDS?  I thought this was only used for the
Web site build.  (Well, at least for now.)

> +PDB_RUN_DEPENDS=3D \
> +		${HTML_RUN_DEPENDS} \
> +		${PREFIX}/bin/iSiloBSD:${PORTSDIR}/palm/isilo

Comment:  I tried once to upgrade the isilo port to a more recent
version, but this would have required some non-trivial FDP
infrastructure changes, so I gave up.

+# Turn off various options that some of the dependencies default to
+# requiring, but that aren't needed for the doc build
+.if !defined(WITHOUT_PYTHON)
+WITHOUT_PYTHON=	yes

We really need this, but I couldn't make it work.  Like when I did a
"make install", make still wanted to build python as a dependency for
libxml2 and libxslt.  I don't know why.

Bruce.