Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:02:06 +0400
From:      "Alec Kalinin" <alec@relex.ru>
To:        "Mark Newton" <newton@internode.com.au>
Cc:        "Oleg Derevenetz" <oleg@oleg.sani-c.vrn.ru>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Probably bug with allocation memory in FreeBSD-3.2-RELEASE

Hello !

> > I think, mentioned below program probably show the bug in virtual memory
> > subsystem in FreeBSD-3.2-RELEASE. After running this program, FreeBSD
>>  comes into "out of swap" state, then hungs.

>Well, yeah, that's becuase you're running it out of swap by trying to
>allocate a gigabyte of memory.

Yes. I try to modeling "out of swap" in FreeBSD-3.2-RELEASE.

> > Why i think this is bug? Because any user can hung FreeBSD, settings in
> > /etc/login.conf can't help.

>Are you sure about that?  Setting datasize limits will prevent
>malloc() from doing what you're trying to make it do.  Are you
>sure you're setting your login.conf settings properly?

I am sure, that setting limits in "/etc/login.conf" is not good decision. I
try to explain.

First of all, if i set limits more than swap space, one user can hung
system. But, if i set limit equal half swap space, two different users can
hung system.

Than, i don't set limits for root process. And combinantion "squid +
Netscape with java applet" from root may hung system.

While 3.2-system can't simply kill this process like 2.2.8-system? I think,
killing this process -- best solution.

Good luck,
        Alec.