Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 02:43:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: spam [procmail recipe, ~/.trusted_senders]

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Warren Block wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> > The problem with this procmail recipe is that some of your friends may use a BCC from time to time and these messages will get delivered to your bulk mail or "Spam-folder" by mistake.
> Right.  That's why you have procmail recipes that detect "approved" addresses through *before* spam detection recipes in your .procmailrc.  For example, here's a relatively recent recipe that's near the top of my .procmailrc:
> # FreeBSD Questions Mailing list
> :0
> * freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> $MAILDIR/FreeBSD-Questions
> This rule detects email from the FreeBSD mailing list and sorts it into its own folder.

Erg, I have been meaning to do this on a per-message basis instead.
Currently, I am using the laziest means, which is PINE's latest filters
that are activated when the INBOX or another message folder is opened (bulk
processing rather than individual procmailling).

> > Hey Warren, and list, do you know the usage for the line above beginning with "* $!..." so that I can list multiple matches, using some kind of "OR" statement (maybe "email1@otherdomain.com|email2@domain.com|email_etc@abc.com")?
> Multiple recipes are easier to maintain, and give you the same "or" mechanism.  Add one for each person you want to explicitly "let through".

-*BRIGHT LIGHTBULB GOES ON*-  :)  I just got a grand idea... there's a way
in PINE emailer to pull (or [T]ake) addresses from currently received
messages and output them various ways, and of course there is a way to
import them simply into your ~/.addressbook file

I am going to write a simple sh or perl script to cull single email
addresses and output these -- one per line -- to a file such as
~/.trusted_senders or something like that.  That way, the first check would
be a "test" of [ grep -i ${THE_SENDER_OR_X-SENDER_EMAIL_ADDRESS_HERE} vs
~/.trusted_senders ].  If there is a match, deliver the message.
Otherwise, a second check would be the great "is my email address even
listed in the To or CC field" test!

> > By the way, instead of the "$MAILDIR/Spam-folder" line you could put something like /dev/null or "|formail -b postmaster@...." if you want to get real technically-combative and cocksure (word choice?)
> I don't trust automated scripts enough to let them delete mail except in rare cases, but yes, that can be done.
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

I was angry with (mad at?) a friend once and set up a rule that just
formailled (bounced) back to him every message he sent me... but I totally
echo your distrust of /dev/nulling messages :)

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder