Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 10:45:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbus and modem(s)

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> I'm as excited as anyone to see progress, especially if it means the
> ability to modularize the kernel and load various drivers on demand.  But,
> alas, it seems this whole thing was rushed horribly.
>
> The first thing I noticed was the panic I got, in atkbd_isa_intr, which
> has since been fixed.

Well, that is what you have to expect when running current. You are a
betatester, and you can't expect the authors to have access to every
combination of hardware.

On the other hand, I have been cvsup'ing and making world every night for
the last 6 months or so, and besides having to do the changes in "heads
up"-messages, I haven't had any troubles. Right, make world do fail
sometimes, often because I have cvsup'ed during commits, but the system
has never been unbootable.

I do this every night from cron

cd /usr/src
/usr/local/bin/cvsup -s -l /tmp/cvslock -L 2 -P - -h cvsup.dk.freebsd.org /root/ports-supfile|tee /dev/ttyv7|mail root
/usr/local/bin/cvsup -s -l /tmp/cvslock -L 2 -P - -h cvsup.dk.freebsd.org /root/standard-supfile|tee /dev/ttyv7|mail root
make -DNOGAMES world && cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf && config GINA && cd /usr/src/sys/compile/GINA && make depend && make && make install && echo reboot | at +5minutes

Leif