Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 2021 18:56:38 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Marco Beishuizen <mbeis.bsd@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Helge Oldach <freebsd@oldach.net>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cannot git clone into /usr/ports when separate filesystem

On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 18:40:44 +0200 (CEST)
Marco Beishuizen <mbeis.bsd@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2021, the wise Helge Oldach wrote:
>
> > Marco Beishuizen wrote on Tue, 06 Apr 2021 15:59:48 +0200 (CEST):
> >> To avoid possible future problems I placed .sujournal into
> >> $HOME/.gitexcludes as you suggested.
> >
> > That would work as there is no good reason a .sujournal file would
> > be tracked by any git repo on your system but is kind of an odd
> > placement. I would have added it to /usr/ports/.gitignore - that's
> > the common file name, and this exclusion is obviosuly not global or
> > system related, but specific to your /usr/ports repo being on a
> > file system mount point.

It's very common for .gitgnore to be checked into repos, so local
customizations should never go there. Unsurprisingly, the FreeBSD ports
repo also comes with a .gitignore file, see:
https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/.gitignore

So you really don't want to touch this for your local changes. Like I
suggested, I would place .sujournal in my user's global exclusion file,
as IMHO this is very specific to the system in question (and as
.sujournal is something you never would want in any repo). If you
really want to store this for some reason inside the /usr/ports tree
(and lose the setting, next time you do a fresh checkout and long have
forgotten about it), you would place it in /usr/ports/.git/info/exclude.

Best,
Michael

--
Michael Gmelin