Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:25:23 +0100
From:      Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dualboot with FBSD boot manager

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 11:03, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:34:43 +0200
> Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org> wrote:
>
> > I have a PC with two hard drives, one (master) dedicated FreeBSD the
> > other (slave) dedicated XP. The XP was preinstalled, and to avoid any
> > confusion, I disconnected the disk while installing FreeBSD.
> >
> > Now, I'd like to configure the FreeBSD boot manager to dual boot. In the
> > menu, I can choose FreeBSD or Disk 1, but choosing the latter does not
> > boot XP. How do I postconfigure the boot manager?
>
> Windows, including XP, wants to boot off the C-drive (the first boot
> device that is). So either you switch your drives OR you setup the BIOS
> to boot of the SECOND hardrive first.

That is not quite true. Windows Xp (&NT, 2k) can be on any partion. The
boot loader need to be at the start of the C-Drive.

There is a previous post regarding the problem at:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=851242+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2005/freebsd-questions/20050807.freebsd-questions

Rob