Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:30:18 -0500
From:      Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe@freebsd.org>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Query about the usage of FreeBSD mirror sites for other projects

--MAH+hnPXVZWQ5cD/

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:10:38PM -0600, Kevin Day wrote:
>=20
> On Feb 20, 2012, at 8:39 PM, Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
> > Which now rather begs to ask the question, what is the opinion of our
> > mirror maintainers?  How do you feel about non-FreeBSD projects using
> > our resources?  Our community supports and sponsors some of these sites,
> > should others be allowed to use them?
> >=20
> > Please feel free to reply publicly, and private emails directly to me
> > will be held in the strictist of confidence.
> >=20
> > I am curious to see how our people feel on the matter.
> >=20
> > Thanks for your time and attention to this matter.
> >=20
>=20
>=20
> We run ftp3.us.freebsd.org, cvsup6.us.freebsd.org, etc which is also home=
 to several other projects available by ftp/http/rsync/cvsup/etc.=20
>=20
> We really don't care who uses the data we've mirrored, if we're putting i=
t up to the public, anyone is free to grab/link to it.
>=20
> -- Kevin
>=20

Thanks Kevin.

The general sentiment I have been receiving from mirror maintainers who
have replied is just that, it is a public site, feel free to use it,
just don't abuse it.

I suspect that the sense of sharing comes from our choice to work in
opensource projects.

Thomas

--=20
Thomas Abthorpe		| FreeBSD Committer