Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:44:05 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>, "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Email Etiquette on this list

[snip]

> - Trim off anything that does not pertain to the current message.
>

> 	- Scott

> _________________________________
>
> Scott Gerhardt, P.Geo.
> Gerhardt Information Technologies
> _________________________________

I have two comments, and one further question for this thread:

Comment 1: "Trim off anything that does not pertain..." - like the 15
lines between your message and your -sig- perhaps?  :)

Comment 2: Given the fact that this is an international community, we
are all quite willing to accept that many posters do not speak English
as their first language.  I am never offended by a poster who is
obviously experiencing difficulty in expressing him or herself in
English.  However, it is very easy to run your mail through a spell
check before sending, and (I think) the simple rules of capitalization
and punctuation are quite universal.  It is a simple display of common
courtesy to ensure that your message is respectable.

<point>
if i cant make time to post proply then y should any1 think i have spent
time trying to solve the prob myself - u no what i mean. pls reply asap
</point>

Question: Who should responses go to.  My habit, as you can see in this
message, is to respond to the poster directly, as well as to the list.
This way, posters who are not subscribed will still get the response,
but those who are subscribed will get it twice.  I'm not sure which is
the lesser of the two evils?  However, I try to be careful not to simply
hit "Reply to all" because if we all did that the replies would go to
the list and to all those who have previously responded to the thread.

Any comments?

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.