Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2013 23:55:44 +0400
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>, Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@felyko.com>, "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>, "cpet@sdf.org" <cpet@sdf.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfilter(4) needs maintainer

  Cy,

  good news that you volunteered to work on this!

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:48:43AM -0700, Cy Schubert wrote:
C> The initial plan was to import IP Filter 5.1.2 into HEAD. darrenr@ hadn't
C> done much with IPF while employed with Sun. Since then there has been some
C> development that is long overdue for HEAD.

The problem is that v5.1.2 is under GPL. I'm afraid we should update
to v4.1.34 only, and then stick to it. So the nearest TODO list
is smth like:

- update to v4.1.34
- cleanse old kernel APIs (timeout(9) at least)
- fix VIMAGE
- review open PRs (some might should be closed)
- since we do not expect more imports, may be cleanse non-FreeBSD stuff
  from there?
- maybe move it into sys/netpfil? Need to consult imp@ on that. License
  is very closed to BSD, but has some additions.

C> I'm not sure if I'd MFC it into 9 or not.

This is up to you, but be adviced that head already differs from stable/9,
for example network stack is entirely in network byte order. So merging
would require a lot of attention and testing.

C> I did consider a port but given it would has to touch bits and pieces of
C> the source tree (/usr/src), a port would be messy and the decision was made
C> to work on importing it into base.

Port isn't an option. IPFilter is too close to many kernel APIs, that
can change quickly.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.