Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:57:33 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   mod_vhost_alias and domain.com/www.domain.com pointing to the same directory?

Hello,
reading the docs of mod_vhost_alias, it looks very much like it isn't
possible to do something like this:

/home/web/%-2_%-1/public_html/%-3+ [1]
i.e.
/home/web/[2ndleveld]_[tld]/public_html/[allsubdomainsuptothirdleveldo
main]

WHILE having www.domain.com still go to
/home/web/domain_com/public_html
(as any client would require it to be) since www would fall under the
thirdlevel domain category and thus the request would get translated
to:
/home/web/domain_com/public_html/www

I'm now asking myself whether I'm the only one with this need [3]
or whether somebody else got a patch to modify mod_vhost_alias to
shorten www.domain.com (and only that one!) to domain.com...

I know this could also be achieved by doing
$ ln -s /home/web/domain_com/public_html/
/home/web/domain_com/public_html/www
but that's not the most elegant solution I can think of as I suppose
users would want to see what's in there using FTP and afterwards
complain about
some broken directory structure (it is an endless loop of
sorts...[2]) or so...

Best regards,
 Gabriel

[1] In the end, I want to have dynamically configured mass virtual
hosting that supports dynamically configured subdomains.

[2] And thus might even pose some security problem?

[3] The fact, that mod_vhost_alias won't do any per virtual host
logging isn't
entirely to my taste either (although I can see some motivation
behind
it, with really MASS hosting, which we don't plan to do on that scale
as servers aren't THAT expensive, you could run out of FDs) but I
gave
up the hope to find a fix to this very problem and I could fix that
by using some offline log splitting technique.