Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:58:46 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Weirdest crash I ever saw...

Folks,

	I've seen a few kernel panics in my day (and some pretty weird
ones lately), and this one takes the cake.

	I did a complete CVSup & buildworld last night, and did the
installworld this afternoon.  All that went fine.  I even built and
installed a new kernel without a hitch.  I was just a step or two
away from updating my boot loader, because of code that John had
recently fixed in it.

	Come time to reboot, I get the most whacked-out screen display
I've ever seen.  The bootloader starts pulling in the kernel, I get
down to the "SMP: APIC#1 launched!" (or whatever it is) message, and
then almost immediately after that, the disply wigs out (all sorts of
high-bit characters flash on screen), and then goes blank for a
couple of seconds, and the next thing I see is the following error:

		                           PL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
		processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
		current process         = 0 (swapper)
         interrupt mask          = net tty <- SMP: XXX
		trap number             = 12
         panic: page fault
		mp_lock = 0100001b; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 00000000
		boot() called on cpu#1

		mp_lock = 0100001c; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 00000000
		fault virtual address   = 0xf000f10
		fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
		instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc0163417
		stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc02b7fa8
		frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc02b7fb4
		code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                   DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
		processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
		current process         = 0 (swapper)
         interrupt mask          = net tty <- SMP: XXX
		trap number             = 12
         panic: page fault
		mp_lock = 0100001c; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 00000000
		boot(

	I hope you'll forgive me if I got this slightly wrong -- this is
displayed with a really weird wrapping (I'm guessing the text is
starting somewhere around line position 60, and then wrapping over to
the line below so that the "PL 0, pres 1" stuff is at the beginning
of the first visible line), and I had to type it in manually.  It
actually looks more like this:

		PL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1           processor eflags        = i
		nterrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0      current process         = 0
		 (swapper)                              interrupt mask          = n
		et tty <- SMP: XXX                      trap number             = 1

	Etc....  I think you get the idea.

	I don't recall whether I've got this thing compiled to support
DDB.  I'll have to attach a serial line to the machine and see what I
can get.

	Wow.  I guess I get to take this opportunity to learn DDB, eh?
;-)  Fortunately, I've got another 3.2-RELEASE machine around here
that I can use to read the man pages locally, etc....

--
  These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>       Sys. Arch., Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin

Note: No Microsoft programs were used in the creation or distribution of
this message. If you are using a Microsoft program to view this message,
be forewarned that I am not responsible for any harm you may encounter as
a result.

See <http://i-want-a-website.com/about-microsoft/twelve-step.html>; for
details.