Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 20:02:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Derek Sailor <dereksailor@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to connect to servers outside of intranet

I recently upgraded from 3.2-RELEASE to 4.6-RELEASE.
I'm sure that most of this problem has to do with my
poor knowledge of the 4.x system.

I have two server services running, sshd and ftpd.
From my internal network (192.168.0.x) on interface
de0 I'm able to connect fine.  However, from the
internet (on my AT&T broadband cable modem) on
interface de1 I'm unable to connect at all.

Running a portscan (using Shields Up at
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 ) results in all
ports listed in "stealth" mode.  My FreeBSD box is not
responding at all.  However, when connected directly
to a windows machine (using the same port scanner) it
lists all ports as "closed".  Thus, I believe the
stealth is indeed coming from something I have set in
FreeBSD.

The network cards in both the windows machine, and the
two in the FreeBSD machine are all the identical
model, listed below (from dmesg).

de0: <Digital 21041 Ethernet> port 0x6100-0x617f mem
0xe0410000-0xe041007f irq 9 at device 19.0 on pci0
de0: SMC 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1
de0: address 00:00:c0:27:f7:d5
de1: <Digital 21041 Ethernet> port 0x6200-0x627f mem
0xe0411000-0xe041107f irq 11 at device 20.0 on pci0
de1: SMC 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1
de1: address 00:00:c0:f2:68:cf

I'm running natd on a custom kernel, which operates
properly.  I'm using the latest version of ISC-DHCP
(dhcp-3.0.1rc9.tar.gz.1).

My firewall is set to "OPEN" in both /etc/rc.conf :

# more /etc/rc.conf | grep fire
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"

and in my kernel config :

# more /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/CUSTOM | grep FIRE
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=20

Kernel secure level is set to -1.

# sysctl -a | grep secure
kern.securelevel: -1

And, of course, firewall rules are also wide open:

# ipfw list
00050 divert 8668 ip from any to any via de1
00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
00300 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
65000 allow ip from any to any
65535 allow ip from any to any

I've swapped interfaces for the cable modem and
internal network, this result in no change.  (This
allowed me to also try another IP address from my
ISP.)

I'm completely at a loss at this point.  Everything
internally works great!  However, from the outside,
you get no response from the box at all.  Even though
'tcpdump' allows me to see someone attempting to
connect to port 21, the box doesn't seems to ingnore
their attempt.

Any suggestions?  Anyone?  Help?!?!!  :)

Thanks!