Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 07:57:43 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation 2.1.6

> Installing 2.1.6 on a new box ...
> When I had no tape in the st0 drive
> there was an error message about no tape drives available,
> so I started thinking hardware fault .. not so ...
> error message is misleading, it should have said no _media_ available.

Well, it *is* clearly documented as a prerequisite in the installation
guide that you have the tape in, so it's also reasonable to say that
you should have never seen this message. ;-)

The problem is that the way things work now, lacking a trusted device
registration mechanism, it's not possible for me to tell the "tape
drive, no tape" case apart from the "no tape drive at all" case.

						Jordan