Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 11:47:22 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Shino <shino@hakkenden.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: email size limit

On Friday,  7 January 2000 at 10:35:52 -0600, Shino wrote:
> Running sendmail 8.9.3 on freebsd 3.3 release with majordomo
> I get the error below when trying to send large attachments
> Is the limit on ‘domain.com’ or ‘server.domain.com’??

The character you enter for '‘' is not in the character set you
specify (charset="iso-8859-1"); in fact, it's a control character.
This is almost certainly a bug in your mailer.  You should use the
character '`' instead.

> (two diff machines) I have already changed the limit in majordomo
> config and don’t see any relavent limits set in sendmail.cf Any
> ideas?

> <list@server.domain.com>

> ... while talking to server.domain.com.:
> <<< 552 <user@domain.com>... Message size exceeds fixed maximum message size (1024000)
> 554 <list@server.domain.com>... Service unavailable

Well, your bounce message says that the size is greater than 1 MB.
I'd be inclined to say "well don't do that then".  1 MB is already too
large for mail messages.

> How bout a list of files I can look at that could impose such
> limits?

It's set in /etc/sendmail.cf, as somebody else observed.  But it's set
for a good reason, and large mail messages cause serious resource
problems for most systems, so you shouldn't send them.

Greg