Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 20:36:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mike@dingo.cdrom.com, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernfs/procfs questions...

> > Sure; but can't these sort of improvements be made to the methods for
> > manipulating procfs nodes?  What other drawbacks are there to the FS
> > model?
>
> It is bogus that writing to a file "controls" something inside
> the system, that is kind-of what SNMP is for.  Now, if someone
> wants a kernfs that is compatible with our sysctl, they should
> be able to use the sysctl info to build the kernfs.

I think the sysctl infrastructure implementation lacks sufficient
dynamism.  There is no concept of a subschema entry (for example)
which would allow for runtime extension rather than linktime
agregation (which is a much simpler problem).

The non-dynamic portions of the framework, inherited from the 4.4
code base, are also quite problematic.

Not that I advocate a kernfs... but a very dynamic procfs could
"know" from the accessor what ABI it was being invoked from, if it
had the necessary parametric hints (which it currently lacks).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.