Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 04:05:07 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        resident@grybel.mayn.de
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: subscribe freebsd-stable

[Taking this thread away from -stable.  Please CC me on replies.]

Thus spake Uwe Ploss <520002375936-0001@t-online.de>:
>   That would be Chapter 19, "The Cutting Edge", subsections 19.2.1.4, 1)
> and 19.2.2.3, 1):
>
> "To join these lists, send mail to
> <majordomo@FreeBSD.org>  and specify the following in the body of your
> message:
>
>     subscribe freebsd-stable
>     subscribe cvs-all"
>
>   I suggest to add something like the following near the quoted
> passages (in big, red letters):
>
> "Note: in order to subscribe to a list DO NOT send mail to any other
> address than <majordomo@freebsd.org>!"

There are many places in the documentation where some people
(henceforth referred to as `illiteratte bums') might become
confused, but I don't think the one you point out is one of them.
I suspect it's usually the ones that mention the actual email
address for a list, e.g. `stable@FreeBSD.ORG'.  There are two
things to be said for fixing these: fewer misdirected subscribe
requests and less SPAM.  (This assumes that the docs are changed
to refer to the lists by name only and to explain how to send mail
to the lists in meta terms.)