Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:13:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Assembly Language and writing bootstraps?

Greetings, I haven't posted here much but I've been watching the list for
awhile. I recently became interested in researching how bootstraps,
kernels and the basic systems of the computer work. One project I would
like to mess with is to just write a very VERY basic "operating system"
that would just boot a machine (from disk of course). The only purpose for
this project is educational experiences along the way. I have a few
questions though for those of you familiar with the topic; I realize there
might be better places to go for these answers but seeing that I like
using FreeBSD as my development platform this seemed like a good place to
start.

Where is the "entry point" in the kernel source? Some place that I can
just start looking to read through some source and take a peak at the
inner workings of the FreeBSD kernel.

Is assembly language required or recommended for writing a bootstrap? (All
my work will be on x86 architecture seeing as I don't own any other types
unless you count countless TI calculators). Most of the ASM information
I've been reading always seems to say assembly isn't needed anymore but it
doesn't say if you can write a 512 byte bootstrap in C.

Are there any good references out there for FreeBSD Kernel Hacking?
Assembly language on x86? Bootstraps, how

--
Ryan "leadZERO" Sommers
Gamer's Impact President

-= http://www.gamersimpact.com =-