Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 2015 13:28:21 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?Q?Olivier_Cochard=2DLabb=C3=A9?= <olivier@cochard.me>,  FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>,  Eric Joyner <erj@freebsd.org>, hiren panchasara <hiren@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Exposing full 32bit RSS hash from card for ixgbe(4)

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 7:10 AM, Barney Cordoba via freebsd-net <
freebsd-net@freebsd.org> wrote:

>      On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:19 AM, Olivier Cochard-Labb=C3=A9 <
> olivier@cochard.me> wrote:
>

>  On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Barney Cordoba via freebsd-net <
> freebsd-net@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > What's the point of all of this gobbledygook anyway? Seriously, 99% of
> the
> > world needs a driver that passes packets in the most efficient way, and
> > every time I look at igb and ixgbe it has another 2 heads. It's up to 8
> > heads, and none of the things wrong with it have been fixed. This is no=
> > even uglier than Kip Macy's cxgb abortion.
> > I'm not trying to be snarky here. I wrote a simple driver 3 years ago
> that
> > runs and runs and uses little cpu; maybe 8% for a full gig load on an E=
3.

> =E2=80=8BHi,
>
> I will be very happy to bench your simple driver. Where can I download th=
> sources ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Olivier
>
> Another unproductive dick head on the FreeBSD team? Figures.

A typical Barney thread. First he calls the developers incompetent and says
he has done better. Then someone who has experience in real world
benchmarking (not a trivial thing) offers to evaluate Barney's code, and
gets a quick, rude, obscene dismissal. Is it any wonder that, even though
he made some valid arguments (at least for some workloads), almost everyone
just dismisses him as too obnoxious to try to deal with.

Based on my pre-retirement work with high-performance networking, in some
cases it was clear that it would be better to locking down things to a
single CPU on with FreeBSD or Linux. I can further state that this was NOT
true for all workloads, so it is quite possible that Barney's code works
for some cases (perhaps his) and would be bad in others. But without good
benchmarking, it's hard to tell.

I will say that for large volume data transfers (very large flows), a
single CPU solution does work best. But if Barney is going at this with his
usual attitude, it's probably  not worth it to continue the discussion.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com