Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:45:07 -0400
From:      mpd <mpd@rochester.rr.com>
To:        lawmay@ki.se
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie: STABLE vs RELEASE?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 08:09:19PM +0200, Lawrence.Mayer@dsg.ki.se wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've never used Unix before and am planning my first FreeBSD installation. My
> machine is relatively old (Pentium 133MHz with 64 MB RAM, 1.5GB harddrive) and
> will be used strictly as a DESKTOP: primarily a latex workstation, secondarily
> for internet surfing/email.
>
> I need XFree 4.2.0, which supports my older video card (XFree 4.1.x does not,
> and XFree 3.x lacks antialiasing etc).
> But the precompiled binary of XFree 4.2.0
> is only available on the STABLE branch (e.g. branches/4.0-stable/packages),
> NOT on the RELEASE branch (e.g. releases/i386/4.5-RELEASE/packages).
>
> 1. Why are there three separate branches of precompiled applications: CURRENT
> (branches/-current/packages), STABLE (branches/4.0-stable/packages) and RELEASE
> (releases/i386/4.5-RELEASE/packages)? How do they differ?
> In particular:
>
>    a. Are the CURRENT precompiled applications considered less stable than the
> STABLE ones, which are in turn less stable than the RELEASE ones?
>
>    b. Were the CURRENT precompiled applications compiled against FreeBSD CURRENT?
> Likewise, were the STABLE precompiled applications compiled against FreeBSD
> STABLE, and the RELEASE applications against FreeBSD RELEASE?

This is in the first section of the FAQ.

> 2. If the answer to (1b) above is "yes", should I run the same branch of FreeBSD
> that my precompiled applications were compiled against?
>
> In particular:
>
>    a. As someone with no Unix experience whatsoever, I have been advised to
> start with FreeBSD RELEASE before trying to tackle FreeBSD STABLE.

One reason to not start with -STABLE is because
there aren't ISO images of it. -RELEASE is just a snapshot
of the -STABLE branch which is packaged up onto CDs and sold.
Upgrading -RELEASE to -STABLE is a relatively easy procedure
that's well documented in many places.

Also, because -STABLE is a living branch, *very* occasionally
you'll grab the code in the middle of a commit, and get
an inconsistent source tree. Waiting a short time and re-cvsupping
should fix that.

> But what
> if I need precompiled applications (such as XFree 4.2.0), which are not available
> on the RELEASE branch (releases/i386/4.5-RELEASE/packages) but only on the STABLE
> branch (branches/4.0-stable/packages)? Does that mean that I should install
> FreeBSD STABLE after all?

You can use the ports system, which should be fine in either case.
You can try to install the 4.5-STABLE X 4.2.0 package on a 4.5-RELEASE
system.  In the worst case, it won't work, and you can uninstall it
easily. It will probably work fine, though.

>    b. If I do install FreeBSD STABLE due to (2a) above, should I obtain ALL
> of my precompiled applications from the STABLE branch (branches/4.0-stable/packages),
> even if some of them are also available on the RELEASE branch (releases/i386/4.5-RELEASE/packages)?

Yes. The -STABLE ones are the latest versions, including security fixes
along with more recent versions.
Then again, I would suggest using the ports instead. That way you always
have the newest versions.

> I have dug through the FreeBSD documentation looking for answers to (2). The
> closest I could find was the following
>
> WARNING: While it is possible to update only parts of your source tree, the
> only supported update procedure is to update the entire tree and recompile both
> userland (i.e., all the programs that run in user space, such as those in /bin
> and /sbin) and kernel sources. Updating only part of your source tree, only
> the kernel, or only userland will often result in problems. These problems may
> range from compile errors to kernel panics or data corruption. (doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html)
>

> 3. Does this quote have any relevance to (2) above?

No. The source tree and the ports/packages are separate entities.

> 4. The reason why I have been looking at precompiled applications is that my
> machine is relatively slow (Pentium 133MHz with 64 MB RAM, 1.5GB harddrive).
> Am I correct in assuming that large applications like XFree 4.2.0, KDE 3.0,
> Emacs 21.x, etc would take forever to compile on that machine?

Maybe. Define "forever." It may take a few hours to build X or KDE,
but it certainly shouldn't take days or anything. I ran FreeBSD in
the past for several years on similar hardware, and I didn't use
pre-compiled packages at all. Buildworld takes the longest, but
even that didn't take more than 6 hours or so.

> 5. What about compiling the kernel? Would that also take forever on my machine?
> Should I do it anyway? (E.g because a custom compiled kernel would use less
> of my meager resources than a precompiled kernel would?) If I do compile my
> own kernel, do I need to compile (some or all of) my applications as well, or
> can I continue to use precompiled applications?

This is in the handbook.

> 6. Would Xfce 3.8.14 be a better choice for my machine than KDE 3.0 (e.g. by
> consuming less of my meager resources)?

It consumes fewer resources, yes. Whether or not you like it better is,
of course, subjective.

> 7. If so, (a) would Skipstone be a good choice for browser, or would you recommend
> another for my machine? (b) Could you recommend an email manager with a user-friendly
> GUI?

Dunno. I use lynx for 95+% of my browsing, the Mozilla for the rest.
I'm not sure Mozilla will run so well on your machine, though.

> I would greatly appreciate your answers and advice on these matters. I am very
> eager to start using FreeBSD.

Please read through the FAQ and handbook. Many of the questions you
ask are already answered there. They're linked from http://www.freebsd.org
on the front page under 'Documentation.'

> Greetings,
> Lawrence Mayer <lawmay@ki.se>
> Umeå, Sweden

mike