Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:48:49 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        XeXeN <xexen@writeme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with ppp/chat

Hi,

Try enabling some debugging.

add a debug in the options file and change the chat -f to chat -vf
It will log all the chat commands to /var/log/messages, I think.

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 06:36:58PM -0500, XeXeN wrote:
> Im trying to get Kernel PPP setup on my box, I keep running to a problem, when I run pppd, my modem doesn't dial, but if I use kppp it does, also if I just use kppp's terminal and type  AT it responds OK then I type ATDT####### it then dials my ISP, I don't understand why chat isnt dialing. Here are my options and dial script.

> /dev/cuaa0 57600
> crtscts
> connect "/usr/bin/chat -f /etc/ppp/login.chat.script"
> modem
> persist
> domain intersurf.com
> <myip>:<ISP>
> defaultroute

> login.chat.script:
>
> # this is all on one line
>
> ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER'  "" ATZ OK
> ATDT####### CONNECT "" TIMEOUT 10
> ogin:-\\r-ogin: <user> TIMEOUT 5 sword: <password>

Shouldn't the double quotes be single quotes? The man page for chat only mentions
double quotes when you use the SAY command to print progress messages.

Check the log files after you enabled the debugging options in the options file for
ppp and chat.

iow.

 ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' '' ATZ OK
 ATDT####### CONNECT '' TIMEOUT 10
 ogin:-\\r-ogin: <user> TIMEOUT 5 sword: <password>

> Any help would be appreciated, as usual

Best regards
Willem Brown
--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

I've already got a female to worry about.  Her name is the Enterprise.
		-- Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.0