Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 22:39:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/60349: 5.2-RC1 cannot do NFS installation

On further investigation, it's going to be rather difficult to make
floppy 3 be mandatory.  The loader is set up so that loader.rc
merely stages floppy 2 for the loader to load after it has loaded
the kernel.  There is no way for loader.rc to stage two floppies at
the same time.

Sysinstall could be changed to either force the loading of hte floppy
3 modules, or intelligently detect when nfsclient.ko is needed and
not present, and prompt the user to insert the floppy.  However, this
then requires that sysinstall know what drivers are on floppy 3,
something that adds to the maintenance burden.  It also presents quite
a bit of risk at this late stage of the process.

My suggestion is to document this in the release notes and/or errata.
It appears that the problem can be avoided by manually loading
nfsclient.ko off of floppy 3 when sysinstall starts.  Sysinstall appears
to be equiped to assist with this, so it shouldn't be too hard to
document.

Your thoughts?

Scott