Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 1996 17:21:40 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za
Subject:   Re: Bug in libc/db/hash/hash.c???

Well, I haven't seen it happen here yet, perhaps it only breaks if the water
in your drain goes the wrong way?  Actually, the only reason I could imagine
this
occuring is if the stat failed because you didn't have permission to access
the file, but then you DID have write permission to mess the file up.  Bizzare.

I've put up on freefall a new revision of hash.c,
try http://freefall.cdrom.com/~pst/hash.c

This postpones the stat until you've successfully opened the file and then
just does a fstat.  I don't like it, because it adds additional syscall
overhead, but wtf.