Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 07:29:04 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        wkt@tuhs.org
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Caldera and the Ancient UNIX license

On 2001-Dec-16 17:18:37 +1100, Warren Toomey <wkt@minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
>Firstly, call me crazy, but I thought the 2BSD filesystem layout was
>essentially UFS, i.e i-nodes at the start, and therefore would be
>pretty much the same as /sys/ufs/ufs in FreeBSD. I'll have to do a
>compare of the source code and get back to you ....

I'm specifically looking at 2.11BSD - which is architecturally UFS but
various sizes and constants are different (eg fewer direct/indirect
blocks in the inode).  In some ways this simplifies things (it may be
possible to re-use much or all of the FreeBSD UFS code) but it also
confuses things (eg having two different struct dinode's defined, and
there will probably be be global variable/function name clashes).

In any case, I'm more interested in how to go about porting a new FS
into FreeBSD, rather than having Terry actually do the port for me.

The other almost-the-same UFS that could be useful is the Tru64 UFS.
Last time I tried, I could mount a Tru64 UFS CD-ROM on FreeBSD, but
the box would panic fairly quickly when I tried to access the FS (I
didn't keep a close record and this was some time ago).

Peter