Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 21:51:20 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSDi Acquired by Embedded Computing Firm Wind River

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Duke Normandin wrote:

> I understand your example. Setting aside the issue of kernel support
> for garbage peripherals a-la Linux for a minute, is FreeBSD's
> server-centric kernel inherantly not as well suited to perform as a
> desktop platform as it could be? I realize that folks *are* using
> FreeBSD as a desktop platform, but are they "forcing" it to do so at
> the expense of the kernel's rock-solid stability? Bottom-line --
> should FreeBSD be chosen strictly for use as a server, and Linux as a
> desktop platform, albeit the latter's instability that *sometimes*
> occurs in their effort to support as much relevant hardware/software
> as possible?

I don't feel that I'm "forcing" myself to do anything ... but, then again,
I'd rather pay a bit more for a SCSI hard drive that will work better on
an multi-process system then IDE *shrug*  I can't think of any hardware
that I've ever had that I couldn't use under FreeBSD, but I also don't go
out and by "whatever happens to be the cheapest today", I go with what
will probably last me a little more then 6 mos ...