Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:21:15 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Zach Copley <snatcher@arlington.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too many files open??

> Hi,
>
> Recently, I moved my mail server from a Linux system to a FreeBSD 2.2.2
> Release system.
>
> I keep getting errors about having too many files open.  This has happened
> with both sendmail and pine.  It just happened again!  This time majordomo
> was queueing messages with bulk_mailer to send out to a mailling list.
> The list has a couple hundred people on it.  Then poof:
>
> Aug 18 04:21:50 kiki sendmail[5880]: EAB05880: SYSERR(UID1): queueup:
> cannot create data temp file dfEAB05880, uid=0: Too many open files in
> system
>
> What gives?  How many files am I allowed to open?  Is there any hope?
> Please help me.  I don't want to retreat back to Linux for the mail.
>
> BTW, in case it helps, the system is a P-120 with Adaptec 7880 SCSI, a 1
> gig SCSI Quantum drive, 32-megs RAM, setup with easy install defaults,
> kernel developer (no X).  Sendmail is 8.8.7.

If you're using ppp w/ the -alias switch, you may want to get the
latest version from http://www.freebsd.org/~brian.  Charles Mott
recently found a descriptor leak (with the help of someone whos name
eludes me).  It's been fixed in the 970817 archive from above.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;